Wednesday, January 31, 2007

"What interests me is history, and politics only interests me to the degree that it is the mark history makes on the present."


One of the few known portraits of Chris Marker.

Here is a fascinating recent interview of Chris Marker, a man who almost never gives interviews and has rarely even allowed himself to be photographed. Marker has worked in nearly every medium during his over 60-year career----his work, Immemory was released in CD-ROM form and makes use of hypertext non-linearity. Some of his most interesting comments in this interview address the history and continued development of image capture technology:

"Godard nailed it once and for all: at the cinema, you raise your eyes to the screen; in front of the television, you lower them...Out of the two hours you spend in a movie theater, you spend one of them in the dark. It's this nocturnal portion that stays with us, that fixes our memory of a film in a different way than the same film seen on television or on a monitor. But having said that, let's be honest. I've just watched the ballet from An American in Paris on the screen of my iBook, and I very nearly rediscovered the lightness that we felt in London in 1952, when I was there with [Alain] Resnais and [Ghislain] Cloquet during the filming of Statues Also Die, when we started every day by seeing the 10 a.m. show of An American in Paris at a theater in Leicester Square. I thought I'd lost that lightness forever when I saw it on cassette."

No comments: