Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Thoughts on last night's class...

I wanted to point out that we won't be doing such close analysis of film as film throughout the entire class. Afterall, this is a class on Film and Literature, or as I've styled it, a class on narrativity. But, because students may be less familiar with techniques and terminology of film that with literature, I wanted to take time to draw attention to some basic elements of cinema.

We didn't spend much time talking about the content of la Jetee---the plot, the themes, and interpretation of them---but we will pick this up in the discussion class we have scheduled after we've screened Distant Voices/Still Lives. Similar issues of the relation between memory and identity surface in both, as well as in many of the other films we'll see this semester, so we have plenty of time to draw all that out.

I'll be posting material on Distant Voices/Still Lives between now and next class, so check back and comment under any posts you wish.

I hope you are looking as forward to writing this week's logs as I am to reading them. So far class discussion, both in class and online, has been very promising.

No comments: